Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Out of the Ashes - or Kitchen Disasters Lead to Discoveries

The night before last, we experienced a disaster that could have been much worse (now that I look back on it). Dave was cooking dinner (yes, he does that) and had broccoli steaming on the stove. I was in the other room when suddenly the fire alarm went off. The cat, dog and I all came from different directions and in the kitchen, there was Dave - holding the now-melting pot - over the floor. We all -yes, the cat and dog too- stood there for a moment in total disbelief. I had a fleeting thought that I was glad it wasn't me who had done this (forgotten to put water in the bottom of the steamer), as I watched the quickly hardening metal gouging the hardwood floor in at least a dozen spots. But, nobody was hurt, the floor was going to be refinished soon anyway and the pot can be replaced. After the metal cooled, Dave pried up the pieces from the floor, placed them into a bowl, handed it to me and said, "Go forth and make jewelry!" I must say, the shapes are pretty interesting...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ilene, thanks for sharing. Your husband sounds like a gem. :)

Denise

Laurel said...

He is a gem, indeed! Scary story, but funny ending - make jewelry indeed!

~Melissa Merrill~ said...

Oh my. yeah, things like that happen and the thought goes through your mind of Atleast no one was hurt. It's great that he is thinking on you after all of that saying go forth and make jewelry. Funny about the animals too. Mine would have scurried under the covers in the bed room. Thanks for sharing.

A.Smith said...

Tell David he is not the only one ;-) I will spare details to protect the guilty but we have had our share of smoking in this house where the humans do not smoke and I suspect neither do the cat and dogs, LOL.

Nice to see you are posting again, and hoping I get to spend some time with you in October at Art&Soul. (And I agree with David, go make jewelry!)

Hugs from here.

Matthew said...

Must be hereditary. Thanks, Dad. Look forward to seeing the jewelry.