Sunday, July 13, 2008

Ferndale Rummage Sale - OH MY!

On Fridays, I do a Baby Storytime at the Eureka Library - ages newborn to two (roughly). But I did have time to check out the Rummage Sale that the Ferndale Assumption Church puts on each July. The prices are always good, there's a wide variety of items, and it's well organized and of course, FUN! I convinced Dave to come with me, as he is learning how I manage to find such great bargains and entertain myself at the same time. So we crossed over the river with the idea we would come across a high chair for our soon-to-be-visiting granddaughter.

Anyway, I digress. After whizzing through the main room and through the hallway of clothes, I found myself going outside a back door to a melange (do you like that word???) of miscellaneous things on the ground. Mostly furniture - Dave found a lamp for $5 - I came across an old cardboard box. My curiosity over came me and I opened it. My heart started pounding as I saw the black case inside. I instantly knew what it was. I unlatched it, and yes indeedy, inside was an old Singer Featherweight sewing machine. I closed the latches, l lifted it out of the box and looked for a price tag. Nothing in sight. I carried it inside that door and asked the cashier there what the price was. She said, "Oh, that's one of those little mini machines. How about $20?" SOLD!!!

Now, what I didn't tell you, is that a woman I know from many, many garage sale sites was watching the whole time. She is part owner of an antique store in town, and I knew if I even set this gem down, she'd scoop it up. These treasures sell for $450-$650 - IF you can find them.
The color absolutely drained from her face when she heard the asking price. I would have thought she would congratulate me or something - but no - she did a little whirl around and walked off.

I'm in love with my new baby!

p.s. Dave had me go back for the box. It turns out that it is the original Singer Sewing Machine Company box that it was shipped in - to an address in Eureka. Oh, my - what can I do with this? I have to do something with it. Any ideas out there?

4 comments:

Matthew said...

Sell! Sew! Sew, then sell! Congratulations, Mom.

m i c h e l l e said...

SUPER congrats!!! To find a machine that sweet and SUCH A DEAL!!! Obviously, the cashier didn't know the value. Now if it were you or me, we absolutely would have congratulated the "winner" or struck up some kind of conversation with a person that we witness making a score like that.

I had an experience once when I was in Goodwill and I noticed a woman with several jars full of buttons. This was when my button obsession was in full bloom and boy did my heart sink when I saw this. I even followed the woman around to see if she would put them back...I wanted to be right there! (This has happened before!) Well, she didn't but I did find myself in the same aisle and so I FORCED myself to congratulate her on her good score. It was tough but I needed to face my demons! Well...I was so happy I spoke to her because as I did, her face completely lit up and she shared with me that she loved buttons and was just in Heaven! So...even though my stomach was flip flopping with envy, my heart knew those just weren't my buttons...they were hers. :-)

(thanks for listening! :-)

kecia deveney said...

put it on ebay!!! that's awesome and i am so glad you got it and not that antiquer girl. you really should have turned and told her you would sell to her for $500! (yes, i know, i can be mean....) - anyway, i wish i had gotten to go into to Ferndale with you!
kecia

Peggy said...

What a great story! TFS. And it's OK to be a little bit smug about a great "find" like the old Singer. (I'm green with envy!) I'm sure the antique store lady would have been saying "nyah-nyah" if SHE found it first! Congrats!
Peg