Tuesday, July 8, 2008

songbirds in my garden

I've spent the past three days immersed in my garden. When we stopped at Sequim, Washington last week (the lavender capital of North America), I visited two lavender gardens. This was a life-changing experience for me (hence the blogspot name) - even though that sounds rather a little over the top. In one of the gardens, the owners had set out several finch feeders and many of these little creatures were clustered around them - eating the thistle seed. Now, mind you, I've lived here for 30 years and never thought to put out a feeder for them. So - I bought two mesh bags full of seed five days ago and hung them over the entrance to our small grape arbor. The first day - not one bird came. The second day there were two. And, THEN - an EXPLOSION (the word must have spread) - each day an exponential growth of birds! I walk outside to songs which lift my spirit and fill my soul. They've repaid me much more than the cost of seed (though, I need to find a bulk package somewhere!)...

1 comment:

m i c h e l l e said...

Hi Ilene...

Oh I'm so happy for you that you've put out bird seed! We have a couple of feeders (seed and suet) outside our front window and Oh! how I love watching the birds! We even set up a "bird watching" area inside, complete with binoculars and a bird id book! (I should take a picture of it for the blog! LOL!) Anyways, we get such a wonderful variety of birds that come to feed. There's even get a big woodpecker that comes to visit! Like you said, whatever the price of the seed, we get 10 fold back in happiness!!

Take care...and enjoy!!!